Sunday, January 10, 2010

Equipment To Bring On Your First Off-Road Trip

By R. Nathan Rickaway

So you've got a Jeep or other OHV and your ready to Step into the offroad world, you've hooked up with local club or Internet forum and going to a local Offroad park or National Park.

Before you take off there are some things you might want to consider purchasing for your vehicle before you go. Do you have proper Recovery hooks at the front and rear of your vehicle, if your vehicle isn't lifted do you have any body protection or Skid plates to keep things straight under your Vehicle?

The first trip offroad I went on was so embarrassing, first I backed up onto a rock and pinched my exhaust system to where it would not flow any longer, I didn't have any tools, a jack, and no way to work on my Jeep, Later on that day I got myself into an off camber situation and almost put my Jeep on it's side if not for my awesome club members to come to the rescue and figure out a way to get me back to earth. Luckily I was with a great group and everyone jumped in to help, but I still felt bad that I'd held up their day.

Having the right equipment in and on your vehicle is important for safety reasons and to improve your day of fun. Now I know a lot of you don't have play money just to go throw at your truck, so don't think you've got to go run out to buy a winch right away (not a bad thing to have though). The first thing I did was I made a tool box that fits into the back of my Jeep with some of the necessary tools for the trail, which includes.

A bag of hand tools (Metric and standard wrenches and Sockets)

A couple Recovery straps, be sure to get looped ends, you don't want to be in the way of a projectile Metal hook if the rope snaps or comes loose.

• A Flashlight (yes even if it's a Day trip)

• Either a Hi-Lift Jack or regular Bottle or scissor jack

• A Pry bar

• A Cheater bar if you don't have power tools

• You're Electric Drill with some extra batteries from home

• Duct and Electrical tape

• A Spare tire of equal size

• And any extra Tools you can get in there.

• A First Aid Kit

This list is a rough list for a starter, as your OHV starts growing and getting more serious the time will come to bring spare parts like axle shafts Engine parts, Drive shafts, Steering and Suspension Joints the list goes on and on.

On your first trip be sure to pay close attention to what the experienced club members are bringing and how they use the tools they brought in certain situations. You never know, you could save the day for someone on your first trip.

Nathan Rickaway is an avid offroader and loves teaching people the in and outs of his hobby. For more Articles and information please visit http://www.rockrunneroffroad.com -The new trend in Offroad Motorsports.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=R._Nathan_Rickaway

No comments:

Post a Comment